Thursday, September 5, 2013

Flight worth talking about!

ObFrom Marcy, after two nights of family and friends wishing us well...and I mean well...I think we scored 6 bottles of wine, a bottle of champagne, a 12 pack of coronas, really nice towels and a Corona straw hat..oh don't forget the Bail Bucket (for bail or to bail with),  anyway after leaving lock 20...did I mention how much we are going to miss these amazing friends...they are so stuck in me and a part of us that they will be with us always..ok back to travels..  We headed east on the canal to St  Johnsville on we'd the 21 of August..it was brutally hot and humid humid and on the 22nd I put up our tarp for shade and we made it much more  comfortably to Amsterdam.  Amsterdam is a beautiful stop with excellent facilities with only on problem,  they have Amtrak and cargo trains go twice an hour all night long...not not much sleep that night.

On , Friday we we're able to take "flight".  Our last five locks on the Erie Canal were consecutive locks that lower you a total of over 150 feet.  Each lock lowered you about 35 feet down the side of the mountain.  It was spectacular.   

I wish you could really see how beautiful



Trying to get creative with photography

We ended our flight in Waterford, a stay that was very reasonable ...it was free..really..free.  They let boats dock for free and you pay $5 for bathroom keys and $10 if you want electricity.  We stayed two nights and enjoyed the place where the Mohawk River and the Hudson River meet.  The town is wonderful and very nice places to walk and enjoy dining cuisine ... Our favorite was a dinner that fed us for $8.00. Jon was smiling ear to ear.  He had a burger and fries and I had my stand by BLT with chips and drinks.



Sunday we made it to Hop n Nose Marina on our first day on the Hudson River.  The Hudson River  was interesting navigating as well as negotiating the freighters that are pushed by tugboats.  Conversation between Jon and I went something like this..(by the way, I'm steering.). me:  "is that a boat or land way up there?"  Jon: "I think that's a freighter."  me:  "Well why does it look like its coming right at us?"  Jon:  "because it is on the same course."  "We need to be on the other side to stay in the Chanel."  Me:  "yeah I know, do you think we can cross in front of in time.....ok...he will make his turn right after we get in the Chanel and we should be fine".  I have to tell all of you reading this blog..this was a little intimidating....the way the Chanel runs is from one side to the other of the river and it seems like there isn't enough room to pass each other.   So Jon watched how close I was to shore and I watch the freighter and depth and we were fine...after our hearts stopped palpitating.
Objects are closer than they appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment