Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Anchoring in Daytona

We did our 52 miles to Daytona Beach under georgeous sunny skies (Jon really has to get sunglasses). We saw dolphins several times, each time I try to get my iPhone to cooperate and each time I fail to capture their picture. I have just decided to enjoy them.  So we've put our time in on the water and we're ready to anchor and I thought you'd enjoy how the anchoring process usually goes. It starts out with me taking the wheel and Jon hovering to help me to pick the best spot. He then gathers his equipment (a windlass handle, we have manuel - less to break don't ya know, and his handy snubber that goes on the chain so that it doesn't jerk up).  While he is up on the bow of the boat(35 feet away from me) it is my job to follow his pointing finger to the best spot---make sure I'm not moving forward anymore then ugh we are to close to this guy--or ugh we're almost on top of a crab pot-- finially we look good, Jon looks at me and signals that he's going to drop the anchor-- I'm yelling for him to hurry because the two knot current is pushing us back closer to the other boat-- ok it's holding--Jon looks around, ugh we are in the channel--crap, and the anchor is holding so well-- ok, pull the anchor up...watch the crab pots and that boat...let's try over here.,,,no no no over this way...come up, come up... Stop the boat from going forward...ok I'm going to drop it.. I think you get the idea. It takes us atleast half an hour to 45 minutes to get the anchor set each time.  Each time we talk about it will get better and easier and maybe we should use the head phone things so we don't yell or atleast so we understand what the other is doing.  We' ll keep you posted. 

        So sunny and bright all day

Our anchorage in Daytona--very pretty


       Good morning ..yep dad, we were pretty close to staying under the bridge. 

    Going past Daytona...lots of condos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment