Friday, April 25, 2014

A Friend on the Intercostal



We're back in the intercostal traveling north. We left Lake Worth and traveled in beautiful warm weather. I forgot how pretty the intercostal is in Florida.  Jon and I settled into a rhythm behind our friends' boat, blue. We only had seven bridges that were spaced nicely and even nicer was Denise who called each bridge ahead for us both.  It gave me lots of time to catch up on the blog and Jon pointed out all kinds of interesting things along the water. That is when the most fantastic thing happened. Jon and I noticed a dolphin fin off to our port side (that's our left side) about ten yards away. He/she was just slowly going down in the water. I remarked to Jon that the dolphin in the intercostal seemed so different--kind of not interested in us. Several minutes later I told Jon I'm going to check the bow, just in case he decided to swim with us. I never expected to see him and I looked and he certainly didn't seem to be around. I was just staring into the water when one of the colors was different and seemed to move upward. There he was!  Right beside our bow!  I yelled back to Jon and giggled and cooed to the dolphin. How many times did we just not noticed that there was a dolphin in our bow wake.  We had ignored them, not the other way around. Well I can sincerely say that yesterday was right up there with the top experiences of our time on the water down here. I talked and whistled and made kissey  sounds. The dolphin seemed to like it and I videoed him several times. Jon and I took turns at the bow. Jon is as bad as I am about dolphins. He talked and laughed and looked back at me in astonishment and glee as our friend swam and jumped with us.  This went on for a good 40 minutes. Finally  a big motor boat came by and must have looked more tempting or our bouncing around over the waves tired him out.  He had moved on. We didn't stop smiling four hours.  Thank you buddy. 

     We noticed this osprey nest 

                Just scenery

      We noticed this nest with young osprey in it
                   A closer look

          Jupiter inlet lighthouse 

     Abandoned boat????
     Or just using the tide to clean their bottom!!??

      Intercostal in Florida is pretty. 

     Look closely...

       Yep, there is something

     Jon talking to our friendly dolphin 

      Jon sitting on the bow to get a splash from him

      My turn!!!!

           Can you see him?

           Look along side..,.

        Ready for a breath..,,

       So beautifully perfect,,,

        Just makes us giddy !


On one of our changes to watch the dolphin I look over and saw a water snake off our starboard quarter(the back half of the boat on the right) and pointed it out to Jon.  We googled it and think it was this because of it's size. Ugggg. 


          St.  Lucie Inlet  so pretty


   Lots of people enjoy the intercostal 

    Good morning Jensen Beach.  Side note: this is where our damper plate went on our transmission. Interesting that we anchored here by choice this time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment