Thursday, May 22, 2014

Flying Through North Carolina

Seems like we just about blew through North Carolina. We are heading for Great Bridge today (it's right before Norfolk, Virginia).  One week for North Carolina. Not bad, not bad at all for intercoastal travelers. Since our last entry we have had an overnight at Morehead City, overnight at Bear Creek (a quick shrimp  shopping trip at the Mayo Fishing Dock...got excellent shrimp from the  Pamelco Sound), a raft up with Blue in the Alligatore River for a Shrimp Feast and our last anchorage in North Carolina on the North River between mile marker 59 and 58. Yep just 58 miles to Norfolk. 

A friend of mine told me once that I was like a kite and Jon was my anchor. He meant it as a compliment, I think. He said I like to take off and do all kinds of things (all of them very important, haha) and I was able to do them because Jon was there keeping me stable and things running smoothly.  (Mostly to keep his sainity). That seems true enough.  He does have the voice of reason or caution. My job is to push things to limit and make things a little uncomfortable.  His job is to say are you sure you want to do that, have you thought about this or that and can we afford it. Now, listen don't think it's easy being the kite. Oh no, I don't just get to go soaring off in the blue sky and Jon fixes things to make it happen.  I have to quantify and calculate, explain and justify.    Jon then researches, plans, studies, draws a map, and ask questions.  Then carefully and cautiously, maybe  then, we move forward to the crazy (only crazy to some--not to the kites in this world) goal or project we take on.  Yeah, that explains us pretty well. I don't mind being the kite and I certainly don't mind having my trusty anchor along with me. 

In the Bougue Sound outside Morehead City. We were motor sailing. It was blowing 15 to 25 knots. 

He really made it look easy...he's the anchor. 

 The water outside Morehead City was really pretty. 

Morehead City is industrial looking



Calm sunset while were rafted to Blue for our shrimp feast. 

Woke up at 1:30am to lightening (I was looking for the metor shower). Buttoned down the canvas. At 4:30am we all woke up to banging. Storm came up and broke off a stop for our middle cleat that was between Blue and Quicksilver. Winds were a steady 23 knots gusting to 28 (not good if your are rafted together). We had to wait for some light to let go of Blue and re anchor. This is the picture of sunrise after we've anchored and it's calmed down to 15 to 20 knot winds. 

   Sunset last night in North Carolina 

No comments:

Post a Comment